James Caperton in England

Today..July 18, 2018…it is hot in Anderson where I live so I entertain myself with genealogy.  I found a Court Proceedings of the Old Bailey…London’s Central Criminal Court, 1674 to 1913,  for James Caperton as the victim of a crime on May 16, 1812.  So naturally I looked it up and couldn’t attach it here so I printed it and will try to do it another way.  The essence of the crime was Ann Rogers age 15 and Jane Jones age 17 broke into James' business.  At least it sounds like a business, a bar, and took food, cooking utensils, and the till, the money drawer.  They also killed someones chicken.  They were hungry! They were convicted of the crime and given the sentence of death!  for a chicken!  Death….unbelievable!  Then some witnesses asked for mercy because of good character, no they were not pregnant.  They received mercy and got life in prison instead.  still unbelievable!  This was on July 1, 1812   In October 1812, they were both transported on the ship called Emu With 40 convicts to New South Wales, Australia.  I had to find out if they served the life sentence, so I started another search in Australia.  I couldn’t find them in the database and then looked again at the ship document.  Hallelujah Praise the Lord…I think…the ship was captured by an American Privateer and never reached New South Wales.  Wow…the prisoners were all young females so I hope they were safe. So now I wanted to find that other ship and found that a book was written in 2000 by Elizabeth Hook called “Journey to New Life” .  My job now is to get that book!  It is in the library in Queensland and I can’t borrow it.  I tried Amazon, but no luck there.  I will let you know if I find it!

Sometimes this is just too much fun!

The Transcription of the court proceeding



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where did John go from 1760 to 1774?

Collaborating with myself about the Clapperton surname!