Collaborating with myself about the Clapperton surname!

  Let's see, did I talk about the Clappertons yet?   I will do that first.  There are many Clappertons in Scotland.  They are not very interested in genealogy and no one wants to talk to me so far.  I spent last week researching the Clapperton surname.  I found several family trees online but those that made the trees do not know anything that would help me.  They were kind enough to respond, but could not give me any added info. If I could just get a Clapperton to do a DNA test I could get on with my work, either excluding them or not by the results of the testing.  Like I could eliminate the Cunninghams because there were absolutely no matches, not even close.  Getting sleepy.

Comments

  1. After creating a chart of all the marriages, births and deaths of Clappertons in Scotland records that exist online so far in the years between 1634 and 1703, I have been attracted to this one..Poll Tax Returns 1694 in Midlothian, Edinburgh, Scotland..Thomas Clapperton, writer, wife, Elizabeth Allan. Children John, aged 4(not in roll), William, aged 3 months, in the country. Servants, Isobel Gemmell and Margaret Thomson each at 8(currency, maybe franks) and 2 pairs of shoes a year. Lodger, James Hamilton, extracter in Mr. James Dalrymple's chamber. Eight hearths.
    The reason of interest is that my John Caperton married Polly Thomson, and the surname of the servant in this family was Thomson. My John arrived in America in 1725 so the birthdate could be 1690. This servant could have had a child about the same age and they grew up together, who knows, but I will follow that lead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is also a John Clapperton married to Elizabeth Miller who had a son named Richard, born Dec 10, 1689. He is of interest to me because some of our researchers think that Richard Caperton who married Mary Devorelle in England is our ancestor and this is the first Richard that I have found even though he is a Clapperton that is the right age to have had a son the right age. This Richard in England had a son named Thomas and John. All common names of that era, but still worth looking at. Miller is also a name that I find in Monroe, Virginia where the Capertons settled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Final answer.....DNA for Clapperton does not match Caperton DNA, not even close. So discussion and research is done but not wasted.
    If you want to check it for yourself, go to www.familytreeDNA.com and look at the Caperton project.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Where did John go from 1760 to 1774?

James Caperton in England